a positive material culture for menstruation
Warm Wall provides women a warm place to lean, alleviate cramps, and commiserate with a friend, a stranger, or alone in the public restroom.
Master of Industrial Design Thesis
Press kit available upon request
For the last century, menstruation has gone hand-in-glove with menstrual hygiene and effectively masking one’s period.
Induction into womanhood means becoming a deft and stealthy user of feminine hygiene technology, in which success is measured in invisibility.
Outside the home, women seldom find accommodations for their time of the month in public places.
Warm Wall portrays menstruation as a shared and common experience.
It acts as a physical and emotional public bench, aiming to build a visible and supportive material culture for periods.
1. Menstruation: An Invisible Material Culture
2. The Ladies’ Room: A Place of Shared Suffering, Empathy, & the Performance of Femininity
3. The Textural Landscape of Hygienic Spaces
4. A Shared Common Experience: Making a Public Bench for Menstruation
5. Women in Repose: Prototyping Physical & Emotional Support
3D Printed Modular Prototypes